Sustainability

The topic of sustainability concerns us all and plays an increasingly important role in the Collegium. Materials and processes are gradually being changed in our company in order to improve our CO2 footprint and thus make our contribution to the environment.

Here you will find a selection of our current measures. However, it cannot and will not stay that way. At this point we will inform you about our progress in the future.

Food and beverage

The Collegium has also been making changes to food since the summer of 2022. Dallmayr was added as a new supplier. The tea range in particular not only scores with delicious products and a beautiful design, but also with the organic quality of the tea and the largely resource-saving production.

In addition, since October 2022, Café Waldschmitt and Café Sabel from two neighboring towns have been acquired as regional providers of fresh baking goods and cakes. Due to the short delivery routes, energy can be saved here and the CO2 footprint improved. 

A large part of the meat comes directly from the area Eifel and is produced and delivered by the company J. Menzenbach GmbH & Co.KG as a regional supplier. Attention is paid to species-appropriate husbandry and short transport routes in order to maintain the greatest possible freshness and to use natural resources sparingly.

In addition, there are professional water dispensers from BRITA SE in the Freis' restaurant as well as at the coffee stations to reduce the use of bottles throughout the day. Tap water in three different variants always becomes fresh drinking water.

Use of LED lights

In the past two years we have converted a total of over 1266 lights and lamps to LED technology. With the completion of our room renovation in the summer of 2022, we will then have switched over 95% to LED technology. The remaining 5% in some Atrium and Villa rooms will gradually be exchanged for LED light sources, so that we will use LEDs completely by the end of 2023.

Building cleaning

Numerous liters of water, various cleaning and detergents, laundry and electricity are used for cleaning the room every day. In order to reduce these and save resources, rooms are only cleaned on request. If the guest still wants cleaning, he simply lets reception know.

A special cleaning system from Diversey Deutschland GmbH & Co. OHG enables the reduction of cleaning agents through the use of individual dosing and dispensing systems. The high cleanliness and hygiene requirements of our company are implemented with the lowest possible use of bio-based cleaning agents. The agents used contain renewable plant-based raw materials instead of petroleum-based chemicals.

Soap dispenser

For many years we have relied on the use of soap and shower gel dispensers in the hotel rooms and have therefore given up the use of small disposable packages such as soap, shower gel or shoe sponges. Instead, we use the Hand, Hair & Body Wash from Haus Ada Cosmetics International. It comes in a bottle made from recycled PET, is fully drainable and therefore 100% recyclable and EU Ecolabel certified.

Green roofs

Since the expansion of the Collegium in the mid-1990s, the adjacent orchard has been part of the hotel. It is leased to a local farmer who tends the fruit trees and mows hay. This serves the landscape maintenance of the Hochtaunus.

In the Collegium Garden, some pine trees had to be felled three years ago due to the bark beetle and the drought of the 2019 summer. In its place has come a flowering meadow, which delights our insects and guests.

Today again a modern topic, especially in cities, a green flat roof was already used in the Collegium when the ATRIUM part of the building was built in the 1990s. Green roofs not only look beautiful, they also make a valuable contribution to unsealing areas. The additional insulation saves energy costs. The roof itself is well protected against solar radiation, weathering and damage (e.g. from hail).

Andreas Nordmann und Katja Ufer are the contact persons for sustainability at Collegium Glashütten and look forward to your feedback.

E-Mail